LISD Reminds Families that Missing School Matters
Student absenteeism is a concern for school districts statewide, including LISD. It is estimated that Central Texas students are absent 2.4 million days of school each year. All absences, whether excused or unexcused, are a lost opportunity to learn. Families can help reinforce the value of education by keeping a few things in mind:
- Don’t make others sick. If your child is ill, he or she should stay home.
- Try to schedule appointments when they are least disruptive to learning.
- If your child must miss school for a medical appointment, get a note from his or her doctor.
- Use the LISD calendar, available at www.leanderisd.org, to plan trips and vacations to line up with school holidays.
- Remember that every absence is a lost opportunity to learn.
- Absences cost your child’s school about $40 per day (per absent student) in state funding.
- Make school a family priority.